Monday, June 21, 2010

Male Heterosexuality: A Celebration

Over the past weekend the beautiful city of Bellingham was treated to an event known as Ladyfest, a art festival celebrated across the globe in honor of all that is female, and then some. Started in Olympia, Washington in 2000, the festival has showcased a lot of amazing musicians and grown into something of a phenomenon, and while the actual specifics of the festivals ethical identity change slightly from place to place, there is a really positive message for the most part.

As far as the Bellingham version of Ladyfest goes, I have some issues with a few of the specifics regarding their message, and with their approach to spreading it. I have found myself involved in discussions about the subject due to the fact that a huge amount of my friends are involved in some way or another. It's also probably due to the fact that I really like to discuss and debate issues, especially ones of policy or morality.

Anyway, one of these discussions was carried out on a facebook thread of mine, that eventually sprawled into a 38 post masterpiece. One of my long winded responses was then taken somewhat out of context and used as an intro for a film that was made for Ladyfest. This film is brilliantly titled, Male Heterosexuality: A Celebration.

I should probably point out right away that, in the format my quote is presented, it is made to sound like I believe that straight males should be celebrated at Ladyfest, which is literally the opposite of what I am actually saying. In fact the next sentence that was conveniently omitted is literally: "Now, I don’t particularly think that straight males have been getting the short end of the stick and need to have their own special day." I also went on further to say that my main issue with the ethics behind Ladyfest is that they DON'T claim to be exclusive when they should be proud of it. We are all different, and sometimes when you are trying to celebrate a certain group of people I think it's okay to wear that on your sleeve. Another thing that is slightly confusing is that a large chunk of this quote is actually me quoting them, which is only an issue because I find the word "q*eer" a little distasteful and don't actually use that in my own personal speech.

So if I was taken out of context, then why am I posting? Well, for a lot of reasons.

First of all, I don't really mind having my words put in funny places every once in a while, I am a pretty laid back person and really it's not all that bad. I know quite a few of the people that made this and their intentions obviously aren't malicious, further evidenced by the fact that they kept it anonymous (although I obviously don't mind because I am revealing myself here.) I also think there is a lot of humor in the coincidence that the particular thread this was lifted from was originally about a friend of mine being taken out of context. Second, it's just good writing on their part. The paragraph I posted is a perfect setup for the punch line and if I was the one making this I can't say I would've it any differently. In addition to that, it's just really, really well made. The dialog is super clever and it's very funny, although pretty creepy towards the end, and well crafted. Third, it's got something to do with me, so why not post it in my blog?

Finally, and not at the least of all important point, is that ultimately the message of this video, however heavy handed, is a very, very important one. You can interpret the statistics presented here in a manner of ways (the breakneck speed at which they are delivered is actually my only technical qualm with the video. I would like to be able to read them better), but the overwhelming truth is that there are some very serious issues that need to be addressed concerning women's rights and relaxed attitudes towards things like sexual assault.

Be warned, it goes from black humor to downright disturbing pretty quickly, but if you can stomach that kind of thing it's worth the watch. Click on the image below to check it out!



All of this Ladyfest talk, not the least of which includes this kick ass video, has been kind of inspiring. I've decided that for the next week (June 21nd to June 28th), 100% of the money that I get from sales of the new Ghost and the Grace single is going to be donated to the Global Fund For Women, which is an awesome charity you can read about here. That means ALL of the money, not just a portion.

Click below to download the new single "Los Angeles" (which is, ironically, comparing LA to a female kidney theif. I am sorry that I didn't have a more appropriate single for this but it's the best I could do!):



If you want more information on Ladyfest to see if it fits your own partiular set of ethics, you can check out the wiki here

4 comments:

Mar said...

This is pretty awesome. The Global Fund for Women is a great charity.

The Moth said...

Thanks Mar! I totally agree. I just mentioned this to Ross because he was online, but I also wanted to tell you myself that I absolutely love the video, it's very funny and effective.

Mar said...

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for such a great post and the review, I am totally impressed!