Sunday, January 11, 2009

Milk

I really love a lot of the Oscar contenders this year, which is great because up until about two weeks ago I was thinking about how few nominees I was probably going to be able to get behind. Recently, though, I saw both Gran Torino and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and enjoyed both thoroughly in two very different ways. I think that both make a damn good case for best picture but I have to err on the side of Gran Torino.

But then, just when I thought I had it all figured out, I watched Milk last night. Gus Van Sant is a great director, and for my tastes he is very hit and miss, but Milk is the director at his best. Sean Penn is amazing, James Franco is amazing, Emile Hirsch is amazing, Josh Brolin is amazing, etc. etc. etc. Penn in particular managed to accomplish the impossible though, which is to make me think that the best actor award might deserve to go to someone other than Heath Ledger.

Anyway, I know that it isn't out in most places right now but I would highly, highly recommended that people make the drive, however far, to the nearest big city and see it.



Harvey Milk passed away in 1978 so I am really to young to know to story, but in watching the movie I was reminded of a lot of things that I actually did know about him. Milk was a really truly amazing man and his story is absolutely touching.


"If a bullet should enter my brain, let the bullet destroy every closet door." - Harvey Milk

4 comments:

Haylee Joel said...

I know that movie was so good.. definitely best picture.

Matt Smith said...

Dude it's all good! Sean Penn and Heath Ledger are gonna be up for different awards!

Make sure you see Slumdog Millionaire as soon as you can!

:)

jimmy jimmy said...

that's an incredible quote by harvey milk.

The Moth said...

Thanks Matt, I realized that a little while after posting. Specifically when I watched the Golden Globes and Heath won for best supporting actor. I think that he was just so good a keep thinking of him as a lead.