Monday, November 17, 2008

Racism

I just recently purchased the core rulebooks for the 4th, and most recent, edition of Dungeons and Dragons. The guy at the hobby store said that he essentially hated all of the changes and was going to continue playing 3rd edition, while he had friends that couldn't be more thrilled, so I wasn't sure what to expect when I cracked open the Players Handbook to learn the new rules.



I am still reading, so I can't speak with much authority, but based on what I know so far I really love this edition. I think that is definitely the best so far. Dungeons and Dragons is still basically the same game but with utterly different rules, and a few new classes and races.

Most notable are the addition of three new playable races, the Dragonborn, the Eladrin, and the Tieflings.



The Dragonborn are a humanoid, dragon-like race made up of warriors who value honor above almost all else. In that regard, they function in a similar fashion to the Klingon's in Star Trek. Unlike Klingon's though, who are fairly off putting to other factions around the galaxy, the Dragonborn are very well liked and very charismatic made evident by the fact that despite being cover by scales, they have a +2 bonus to Charisma. I think that if I wasn't a DM (Dungeon Master, to those of you who aren't in the the know), I would love to play a Dragonborn character, if only for the fact that you get a special breath weapon at the start of the game and you get to choose what it is, either acid, cold, fire, lightning, or poison. Bad ass.



If I wasn't going to play a Dragonborn though, my next choice would be an Eladrin, the second of the new D&D races. The Eladrin are similar to the Elves of earlier Dungeons and Dragons editions in a lot of ways, but with more of an emphasis on there otherworldly, alien nature. Even though they have the same slender build and pointy ears, the Eladrin race feels more closely linked to the fairies and fey creatures. They have incredible dexterity and begin the game with an automatic teleportation ability. I can imagine that that would come in handy on the battle field.

Lastly is the Tiefling. The Tieflings are a humanoid race from an "infernal bloodline." According to what I have read so far in the rulebooks, the Tieflings are descendants of an ancient kingdom that made a pact with the demons (there are multiple gods and devils in D&D) in exchange for some sort of power or wealth; the usual pact with the devil thing, I'm sure. The exchange ended up causing them to grow horns and have a reddish skin pigment. They also have some attack ability specific to there race where they get considerable attack bonuses to creatures that have already made a successful hit against them. It's a revenge thing I guess. Tieflings are pissed.

All of the races that were already there have been altered in pretty interesting ways, and I like almost all of them. The race of Half-Orc is no longer playable, which certainly dosent bother me at all. I can't wait until I finish reading and start up the weekly game that we are going to be running, think of all the nerdy blogs I can post then!

1 comment:

Stephanie Lee said...

i wanna play - i have to work saturdays at four so if you kids play before that i would like to join !! ! !