Tuesday, September 11, 2007

What I Don't Hear, Usually

Personally, when I hear a song for the first time I very rarely hear the lyrics. The things that I instantly pick up on are the melody and the production, most of all, and then after many, many listens to I finally hear what the words actually are. I have plenty of friends that are the exact opposite, though, even to the point that they can repeat entire sections of a song after the first listen. For some reason words just don't stick with me.

Elliott Smith is one of those artists who's words, regardless of how much you would normally hear lyrics, will stick with you. I think that that is why so many people loved him, because his songs usually feel like they are written as a conversation between friends. It's not an everyday conversion, not like you ran into someone on the street and the two of you are just catching up, more like you are at a diner at 3:00 in the morning and the two of you are tired enough, or maybe drunk enough, to be really honest with each other for a while. That is a really personal feeling.

Angel In The Snow by Elliott Smith

Buy New Moon by Elliott Smith

The song Angel In The Snow was released after Smith's death on the double album New Moon, which consists of b-sides and unreleased tracks. I personally think it is the best song that Elliott Smith ever wrote. Much life Elliott's life, Angel In The Snow is a work of beauty that's only drawback is how quickly it's over.

3 comments:

Evan said...

I don't know if it means anything or not, but I completely agree with what you said, about hearing the lyrics last...excluding a certain few artists/bands.

The music itself does the talking, for me atleast..more than anything. :)

The Moth said...

Yeah man, it's very strange, people hear different parts at very different times.

Aj South said...

I'm very much like that. When I find a new group/ album I like, I will liestn to the same songs/ album for days even weeks

and I STILL wont even pick up on what the lyrics are

If I feel like I'm missing out on something, I'll print out the lyrics and listen to the whole album with the lyrics right in front of me