Thursday, September 6, 2007

The Big Bang

So, here it is.

I suppose it is about time that I got myself one of these little blogs, although other peoples interest in my musical ramblings is yet to be seen. One would think that, as a musician, the topic of what I am listening to would come up fairly often... It doesn't. And, when I do get asked the occasional, "So what new band is playing in your iPod at the moment?" I very rarely have a good answer.

There are two reasons for this; Number one, I listen to A lot of music on a daily basis, and most of the time it is spread out between the same ten to twenty bands that I have listened too since I first picked up headphones, most of which you're average music connoisseur wouldn't admit to liking even if they were held at gunpoint.

Number two, I just haven't been "feeling" a lot of new music these days. Don't ask me why, because I don't know. Could it be the fault of a fearful music industry? Could it be record labels, sucking the originality out of there artists in a desperate attempt to kick start the heart of a dying business model with safe, meaningless rock and roll? Maybe, but I will be the first to admit, it's probably just me.

So if you want to hear that cool music that all the kids are raving about, look elsewhere. If you want to put your finger on the pulse of alternative leaning, college-radio music critics, look elsewhere. But if you want to read daily posts about how hard Pearl Jam shreds balls, you've come to the right place.

If anything cool does actually happen to end up in here, it's not my fault. I just listen to what I like, and hopefully you guys will dig it too.

I suppose that since this is my first post I should kick things of with my one and only favorite song of all time. After all, the chorus of this particular song is also where my little music blog derives it name.

40 by U2

Buy U2's album "War"

I love the simplicity of this song. From the minimalist arrangement to it's succinct length, I feel like this is a piece of music that totally encompasses the idea of short, sweet, and to the point. Even though I am not a religious person, I find Bono's lyrics (lifted almost entirely from Psalm 40) in this song to be incredibly moving. There is a conviction in the vocal preformance that is overwhelmingly honest, it's like you can actually hear the belief literally oozing out of this recording. This song eventually became the traditional closing song of U2's War tour in 1983, a tradition that was later brought back during the most of 2005's Vertigo tour, which I had the pleasure of witnessing first hand.

1 comment:

Brett said...

"Number two, I just haven't been "feeling" a lot of new music these days. Don't ask me why, because I don't know. Could it be the fault of a fearful music industry? Could it be record labels, sucking the originality out of there artists in a desperate attempt to kick start the heart of a dying business model with safe, meaningless rock and roll? Maybe, but I will be the first to admit, it's probably just me."

I don't believe it is just you. it happens to all of us.
What I believe is that when we are first interested in music we hold on to what we have first heard, and everything new that we listen to gets compared to it.

I don't excatly know your whole musical background and what bands you grew up liking. Maybe you could share that aswell... Excuse my ignorance if it's been done before ;].

So yeah, I think age has a lot to do with your "feeling" for new music. I know a lot of younger people are into the whole of what you can call "scene" music(for lack of a better word), which a lot of the record labels are pushing out trying to milk as much profit because the younger generation are pretty much the biggest income for media. (not just music).
[edit: This is also with rap and hip hop... What happened to the good beats and original fun raps?]

Being 19, I can relate to other relatives around, who just can't seem to get into the music that I would listen to(unless it's similar to an artist that they have listened to and liked, and example being Cat Stevens and Johnny Cash)... I mean yeah, I catch my mom singing "Concentrate on making love" (if those are the lines haha) and other songs that I may play, but when they hear the more belching song's with screaming, it's a reaction like "WHAT IS THIS NOISE!?"

So it happens to the best of us, we hold onto what we know and like, and always seem to look back into the history of music, discovering who was the first to hit that lick, or have that certain style. It's a tricky subject, but I just think it's a part of growing.

- Brettmct
take time.